Sunday, 1 February 2009

All in His hands

Throughout this week and the past month, the thing that has dominated my many thoughts was the future… which degree course I should do, where I should go to do it, whether to apply for Oxbridge or not, as well as a constant struggle between time management, extra curricular activities and all the work I have to, as well as trying to start revising for mocks after half-term. I grew so stressed and exhausted that I made myself ill, and had to take a day off school to rest, as my anxiety grew too much to handle.

As work piled up, the pressure mounted and everything seemed too much, I became trapped in the present and obsessed with something that may be beneficial but may not be God’s plan for me. I forgot this promise…

'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

The great thing about being a child of the King is the realization that our future isn’t putty in own hands… God knows what we will do in the next two years, the next decade and for the rest of our lives here on Earth. He is with us every step of the way.

From looking at it from an academic point of view, all these qualifications and things that the majority of people I know aim for don’t matter to God. Okay, he doesn’t want us to be lazy (any chapter in Proverbs will reiterate this), but all the work we do will never redeem us. He loves us regardless of the number of GCSEs, A-levels, degrees or diplomas we have, or how good they are. If I don’t get into uni, it doesn’t matter… God probably has something else designed for me to do and an alternative way for me to glorify Him (1 Corinthians 10:31). If I don’t get the required grades for a certain course, God probably didn’t want me to go there and I am of more use for the good of his Kingdom elsewhere.

And anything else that can hinder us in our lives does not prevent God from working in us and around us for His glory. It may seem like that when we’re stuck in this midst of a really difficult time and paralyzing fear closes in around us, but when we step back and are aware of God’s wider picture for our future and trust in Him alone, there is hope and freedom. Everything is in His hands and we can trust in Him in the assurance that He will never forsake us.

No comments: