Thursday, 1 January 2009

When I see the stars...

Have you ever gazed up at a starry sky, awestruck by all the constellations you can see, managing to glitter amidst the darkness? I have. (I live in a polluted city, so whenever I'm in the countryside at night, I'm always in wonder of Heaven's canopy.)

'When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honour.' Psalm 8:3-5

To think that God made all of this, and even more, with just his voice (Genesis 1:3), is just mindblowing for me. How great and majestic He is!

What I often can't get my head around either is God's time and care He lavishes upon us. I know if I was the one in control (an impossiblity but occasionally considered), I probably wouldn't bother - I wouldn't have the capacity.

But God loves us, (John 3:16), He is love (1 John 4:8)... He loves us despite our fragile and weak frames (Isaiah 40:6-8), our wayward wanderings (Hosea 14:4) and our sinful nature that alienates us from Him (Colossians 1:21).

When we see the stars that He flung across the sky, how can we even think that we can try to be greater than Him? How can the earth revolve around us? It's impossible. We all deserve the punishment that awaits us.


Thankfully, through His death and resurrection on the cross, Jesus, the image of the invisible God, the first born over all creation (Colossians 1:15), received our excruciating punishment instead. He experienced separation from God (Mark 15:34) and rose again after He defeated death.

When we repent of our sin and admit that we need a Saviour to lead us, through His grace we are offered freedom, freedom from having to legalistically try to climb a ladder to Heaven and try to be something we can never be by ourselves - right with God (Romans 3); freedom from God's wrath and adoption into His family (Galations 3:26) is also offered in this amazing free gift, as well as becoming joint heirs (Galations 4:7) with Jesus, so we share his glory and honour.

It's incredible to think that despite all the wonders of creation that He has made, God's desire is for us humans to come to know Him and be with Him. He could destroy us with just one word, but He lets us live and make our own choice about whether we should follow Him or not.

If you're a Christian, hopefully you'll agree with me that God's grace is definitely something worth clinging onto and Heaven is definitely worth looking forward to. I really encourage you to continue to live for Jesus this year, whatever happens. Keep on reading His word and talking to Him. If you've got any prayer requests I'd love to pray for you!

If you're not a Christian and are seeking meaning in life which this world cannot begin to offer, I urge you to look into Jesus... get a copy of one of the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John) or the book of Romans, and read it. Also read one of the many books explaining the Christian faith and why Jesus is important. Hopefully I will post up a list of recommendations soon, having asked other people I know for some good ideas. And if there are any questions that come to mind from reading this, just ask... there is no such thing to me as a silly question :)

Hope you had a really good Christmas and have a great start to the new term!

God bless xox

No comments: