Saturday, 1 November 2008

Alive in Him

'But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved.' Ephesians 2:4-5

When you first think about it, it’s a bit disturbing to think that, if we’re Christians, we were corpses before Jesus saved us - alive without life, dead in our sin and without hope of redemption from our bleak future.

But because Jesus loved us much more than a mother, father, brother, sister or friend ever could, He suffered the worst death anyone could invent in our place, and rose again. He daily offers us his great mercy (Psalm 25:6) which never diminishes in amount and saves us from what we really deserve.

Being able to spend time with people I know who care about me really makes me feel happy and confident. For me, the fact that God loves us even more than them is absolutely mind blowing, something I have yet to get my head around and fully understand.

And looking back, before I became a Christian, I may as well have been dead – my purpose for living depended on things which pale to insignificance compared to what Jesus has in store for His chosen people (Matthew 6:20). It took over a decade for me to realize that something was wrong with my attitude and the way I lived my, if you can call it that, life.

I now know that Jesus brought me to life - through His death and resurrection – and I feel as if life in Him has meaning, I have a specific goal to aim for (Romans 12:1-2) and a marked out path for me to follow (Psalm 23:3). If Jesus hadn’t found me and rescued me, I wouldn’t even want to think about what I would be doing right now – certainly relying on things other people I know rely on to get them through each day, and living a meaningless existence in a dark and cold world. I may have felt so tired trying to live up to expectations impossible to achieve, I might have tried to end it all.

Thankfully, nothing we can do, no works or our own sense of morality replaces this grace. Nothing we contrive can ever get us a place in to Heaven. From grace alone we can trust in Him, our Saviour, to save us and keep us forever in his hands. (Galatians 2:21)

xox

1 comment:

The Editrix said...

Hi Imogen - I've tagged you for this meme, if you want to participate. :)