Monday, 1 October 2007

We're not forsaken...or forgotten

'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?' Psalm 22 v 1

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt abandoned or alone?

Well a few months ago in church, I got locked in by accident after the morning service.. (I won't go into the details of how) I hammered desperately on the door and prayed for someone to hear me and let me out. After the first thirty seconds, I almost gave up hope of being let out and was almost resigned to thinking that I would have to remain there for five hours.

That situation is a bit unlikely (though it's true!) but it is a good analogy of how we feel when we think God has forsaken us, and we wonder where He is in the world. Everything can seem so hopeless: wars and terrorism, bomb attacks, abuse, rape, murder, genocide, suicide, gang violence, illness and cancer, eating disorders, STDs like Aids, drug abuse, self harm... I could go on forever. No wonder the Black Eyed Peas wrote a song entitled 'Where is the Love?'. At times we can feel like we are totally and utterly forsaken by God when things go wrong in our lives.

But the good news is that we're not. Though we may feel like we're travelling through a dark and dank tunnel, there will always be a light at the end when it comes to God's faithfulness to us.

Though there are times when it feels like God is far away and we're in a bad situation or feeling empty, I know from experience and from Psalm 9 v 10 that we will find Him in the end.

'Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.' Psalm 9 v 10

In the Bible there are loads of examples of people who went through hard and difficult times, and they must have questioned whether God still cared about them or still had a future for them. But God still held them throughout. Joseph, for example, was sold as a slave by his brothers, was accused of rape and thrown into prison, and had to live in a foreign land to him for many many years, but God was always with Him and fulfilled the dreams he had, even though things were really bad (Genesis 37, 39-45) And most importantly Jesus was forsaken by God when He was on the cross, so we could have our sins forgiven, and now He has defeated death and He is alive, our wonderful Saviour!

Thankfully I was let out of the church by one of the ministry trainees (to whom I am very grateful), who heard my cries and hammerings on the door.

It's important for us to remember that whatever we're going through, we can trust in God and He can bring us through whatever situation we're in. If you know my story of how I started to send these types of messages every month, you will know even a prayer can help you get back to God.. when we're feeling forsaken we have the liberty of crying out to Jesus - He will hear us, and he will help us, always.

'I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.' John 14 v 18


God bless, Imogen xox

2 comments:

B. LLoyd said...

Very helpful, thank you. And sometimes when we can't feel that God is there at all we discover afterwards that He has been carrying us through the tough times and was right beside us all the time. And - unfortunately - it's often through the tough times that we grow closer to Him.

Anonymous said...

Hey There,
You commented on my blog, www.feebledeeble.blospot.com and i just wanted you to know that I have switched now to www.thegoodrace.blog.co.uk !

Also wanted to say how cool that last blog was. Really encouraging that God is always with us,
"never will I leave you, never will I forsake you".
But also that God does do ALL things for the good of those who love Him. Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose"
I have been ill for a few months now with a stomach virus which no one can really work out. But I know that God has planned this, and He is using my suffering to bring about His awesome will.
Obviously "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11.
What I am saying is we can delight in His will, whether it is for health or sickness, for safety or persecution, because He is fulfilling His purpose in us.
X