Saturday, 1 September 2007

Eating chocolate cake on your own... or not.

'Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds.
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing,
but let us encourage one another
- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.' Hebrews 10:23-25

Trying to follow Jesus all on your own is like being trapped inside a room full of rich, dark chocolate cake - piles and piles of it, (or any other type of pudding that's rich) and you have to eat all of it, every last crumb, within one hour to get out.

If I were in that situation, it would probably make me physically sick and I'd give up after five minutes. But what if I had people in that room with me, who were willing to eat that cake too? It would be so much better, much more fun and you wouldn't have to struggle all alone. And the more people supporting you and participating, the better and more enjoyable the whole experience would be.

On this earth, if I was all alone in believing what Jesus has done for me, and the only one trying to follow Him, I wouldn't be doing so for very long. It can be emotionally draining trying to reach out to a doomed and suffering world, without others support and the reassurance that trusting in God and doing his will is better than trusting in yourself and doing what you think is best.

You who are reading this may know me, may have met me or don't know me at all.

But whoever you are, I want you to be encouraged in the knowledge that if you are a believer and it may seem like there's a tide of people opposing us and trying to bring us down, there are others who believe and are trying to follow Jesus too. If you are usually in a place where there are other Christians around, you may take it for granted sometimes, but many people often feel alone in trying to live differently from everyone else, I know I do.

I really want to encourage you not to give up with trying to live how Jesus wants us to live, but let's ask Him for help. We need to support each other in this time we're living in by praying, by helping others, by maintaining our friendships and fellowship and by encouraging eachother with our Father's promises.

'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.' John 16 v 33

God bless, Imogen xox

No comments: